Neutral Ground Inc. - About & History
Neutral Ground is an artist-run-centre that presents contemporary visual and media art. Located in Treaty 4 Territory/Regina, we connect audiences to the work of emerging and mid-career artists primarily from Saskatchewan and Canada.
Launched in 1982, Neutral Ground was formed to advance the artistic concerns of professional Canadian artists with an emphasis on contributing to a context for new and experimental artworks and ideas shaped by social forces and currencies in the art world.
Following from Board Stategic Visioning and Membership/Community Consultation in spring 2017, Neutral Ground's mandate/mission is:
- To provide a professional venue for exhibitions and presentations;
- To facilitate meaningful experiences with art;
- To engage our audiences in critical dialogues.
Neutral Ground serves a wide community that includes our members, artists, arts communities in Regina and beyond, and broader publics.
Neutral Ground engages audiences with contemporary art through:
- Programming that includes exhibitions, performances, and special events;
- Outreach that includes artist talks, workshops, exhibition catalogues, and critical writing
Vision and Values
Neutral Ground is dedicated to the core principles of artist-run culture. We are:
- Member-driven and artist-responsive;
- Committed to emerging artists and experimental art practices;
- Professional in all our dealings with artists, contractors, staff, and the public;
- Committed to equitable hiring and programming that reflects diverse communities;
- Accountable for the use of public funds;
- Vital members of Regina's art community who foster greater understanding and appreciation of the arts within the broader public.
Neutral Ground selects programs 1-2 years in advance. Public calls for proposals by artists working in all media are considered by a programming committee of members, staff, and board. artists working in all media. Neutral Ground is committed to paying CARFAC presentation fees and for travel, accommodation, per diems for visiting artists.
Neutral Ground is incorporated provincially in Saskatchewan and registered federally as non-profit charity. We acknowledge funding and operational support from the Canada Council for the Arts, the Saskatchewan Arts Board, the City of Regina, Sask. Lotteries Trust, Sask. Culture, the Department of Canadian Heritage, private donors and sponsors, and, by the activities of member-driven committees, volunteers, local professionals, our trans-local and local organizational partners and collaborators.
Neutral Ground partners with Dorkbot Regina. New media practitioners can benefit from user group meetings structured on a drop in basis the last Saturday of every month from 1:00 - 5:00 pm.
Contact Ryan Hill, for further information.